Monday, June 22, 2009

Goodness gracious...

Phua Chu Kang (middle) and the main characters...Image via Wikipedia

Will this ever end? I don't think so. Each generation has its own ungracious people…
----------

by Joanne Leow, joanneleow@channelnewsasia.com

05:55 AM Jun 20, 2009

IF YOU are a mother who takes public transport, chances are that you have had experiences similar to this one: You are on the bus or train, struggling with your bags, the baby and the pram ... you make your way to the priority seating and there is an able-bodied person already sitting there who refuses to make eye-contact.

I have had cases where the person pretended to be sleeping while I stood in front of them and even worse, when I was about five months pregnant, I gave up my seat for someone who was eight months pregnant.

It is very hard for me to understand the inconsiderate behaviour that occurs on our public transport and even harder for me to think about how this could possibly be changed.

Which is why I was particularly interested when Gerard Ee, chairman of the Public Transport Council, dropped by to talk about the latest "graciousness programme" that is being implemented.

Gerard was optimistic about the campaign, saying: "It's very light-hearted, we have used the popular figures of Phua Chu Kang and Rosie. And by making it lighthearted, you don't put people on the defensive. The guilty ones will know who they are but they don't want to be preached to ... We want to make it a fun thing and maybe the message might hit home."

My scepticism remains though - can this programme succeed where others like the National Courtesy Campaign have barely made a dent in the level of graciousness in our society?

Gerard pointed out though, that the National Courtesy Campaign has had some benefits: "People don't notice it, but on our roads, fewer motorists sound their horns. Ten years ago, everyone was just pressing their horn and telling people to get out of the way ... I think we have made progress, but we have a long way to go."

Unfortunately, the disillusioned pragmatist in me points to the success of disabled parking lots. Just why are those clearly labelled lots so psychologically off limits to able-bodied drivers even in the most crowded of car parks? We all know the answer to that - it's backed up by laws.

Can we make sitting in a priority seat an offence if you're able-bodied? I see where the authorities are coming from when they shy away from this idea. Think about the costs of enforcement and administering a fines system.

As for me? After I've spent a few times struggling with toddler and infant in tow, I caved in and bought a small car. While I sometimes feel guilty about not being more environmentally-friendly, I do not miss having to deal with the rudeness that I've encountered so often. Perhaps I've given up on my fellow Singaporeans, it is nice to know though that others like Gerard haven't.

From TODAY, News – Weekend, 20/21-Jun-2009; see the source article here.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: